ENDANGERED SPECIES PRINT PROJECT
Raising awareness about the extinction crisis through art
The Endangered Species Print Project created, commissioned and sold art prints depicting critically endangered species. Over the course of the project we raised $15,000 for wildlife conservation.
Our prints were editioned to reflect the number of individuals remaining in the wild, for example only 45 Amur Leopards remain in the wild so we only created 45 of our Amur Leopard print. Prints were made on paper made from bamboo, a renewable resource. 50% of the sale of each print was donated to conservation efforts.
ESPP was conceived in 2009 by artists Molly Schafer and Jenny Kendler. Together we toiled away drawing lemurs when we were supposed to be focusing on our real jobs. We started ESPP so we could lend our artistic talents to the wildlife conservation cause. Along the way many artists joined in and produced amazing artwork for the project.
The ESPP prints have been exhibited in multiple exhibitions around the country including the Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum in Chicago and Indianapolis Museum of Contemporary Art.
Scroll through the gallery below to see all of the awesome ESPP prints
- ESPP Art & Activism project on NRDC's On Earth
- ESPP on Eyes On Conservation podcast
- ESPP on Studio T
- ESPP in UPPERCASE magazine
- Molly's guest post on the Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum blog
- ESPP in Events & Disruptions
- ESPP interviewed on Eco-Now
- ESPP in The Columbia Chronicle
- ESPP in ReadyMade Magazine : Feb/Mar 2010
- ESPP in Orion Magazine : Feb/Mar 2010
- ESPP interviewed for Animal Tourism
- ESPP on Nature Canada
- ESPP on Little Paper Planes
- ESPP in Monkie Magazine : Issue #11
- ESPP in Juxtapoz Art & Culture Magazine
- ESPP in The Sierra Club's 'The Green Life'
- ESPP on Cool Hunting
- ESPP on NOTCOT
- ESPP on Design Milk
- ESPP on Hungry Hyaena
- ESPP on OMG Posters!
- ESPP on Pikaland: The Illustrated Life
- ESPP on Huffington Post
- Animal Umwelt Indianapolis Museum of Contemporary Art
- Rare Nature; The Endangered Species Print Project Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum, Chicago
- Facing Extinction Part of Project Passenger Pigeon, Brushwood Center, IL
- Kristi Engle Gallery, LA
- Root Division, San Francisco
- Texas State University
- In a Landscape Where Nothing Officially Exists / College Art Association , LA
- Renegade Craft Fair, Chicago
- Endangered Species Print Project Barbara & Barbara Gallery, Chicago
Endangered Species Print Project would not be possible without the following artists who contributed their talents to the project
- Christopher Reiger
- Matt Adian AKA Mincing Mockinbird
- Jerstin Crosby
- Matthew Hilshorst
- Barnaby Whitfield
- Aaron Johnson
- Susan Jamison
- Noah Scalin
- John Vilhauer
- Allison Peaslee
- Justin Richel
- Jonathan Woodward
- Katy Tanis AKA Daughter Earth
- Megan Diddie
- Renee Robbins
- Alexis Trice
- Melissa Washburn
The ESPP blogs are still available online.
Bloggers included: Molly Schafer, Jenny Kendler, Christopher Reiger and Amy Gornall
We are still happy to chat with you about potential endangered art projects. Feel free to reach out or use #endangeredartactivism to share your projects with us!